Posted on 06.08.2019 by Chandana Sirimalwatte in Top News List with 0 Comments
Former DIG of Terrorist Investigation Division (TID) have claimed that the attacks could have definitely been minimized if he was able to implement his secret strategic plan against the ring leader of the attacks Zahran Hashim.
Testifying before the Special Parliament Select Committee appointed to look into the terrorist attacks on Easter Sunday, the former DIG Nalaka de Silva said, his sudden arrest led to shortcomings in the investigations against extremist groups.
The second meeting of the Special Parliament Select Committee(PSC) probing the Easter attacks was convened last Wednesday. At the outset, Minister Sarath Fonseka responded to various parties’ views.
Former DIG of the Terrorism Investigations Department Nalaka Silva was the first to give e evidence before the Committee while Ministers Ravi Karunanayake, Field Marshal Sarath Fonseka and several other committee members cross-examined him.
He testified that Zahran had been propagating violence through his Facebook account and websites.
Nalaka de Silva further added, the Inspector General of Police was informed about investigation regularly. He said that their investigations did not lead to any political links but added that they were aware that Zaharan was associating several politicians at a personal level.
Although the investigations into Zahran, whom he had monitored quite well, did not come to an end, his sudden arrest was a hindrance to the investigations.